Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!


I was asked today if Canada celebrates Thanksgiving for the same reason the United States does. My answer was YES we just celebrate earlier because our Harvest is a bit earlier than here in the U.S. I decided to Google Canadian Thanksgiving and see what it had to say! The first thing I read was this, "In Canada, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday in October. UNLIKE the tradition of remembering the Pilgrims and settling in the New World, Canadians give thanks for a successful harvest." That isn't what I remember learning in school!! I remember learning about the Explorers and the Pilgrims!! The second article I read said this, "Thanksgiving Day, is a traditional North American holiday, which is a form of harvest festival." In case you didn't know, Canada is part of North America! In 1578, an English Explorer by the name of Martin Frobisher held a formal ceremony, to give thanks for surviving the long journey to Canada and did celebrate a harvest feast. This is considered the first Canadian Thanksgiving!
So now we know a little history about Canadian Thanksgiving! Eric and I did celebrate this evening with a little pumpkin pie FEAST! I ate 1/2 a piece and decided it was a little nasty! Don't buy pumpkin pie "at the store on the hill"! Next time I will make my own!
But to all my Canadian Family and Friends -- I hope you had a very
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Happy HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU FROM ME(DEBBIE)

Amanda said...

Happy Thanksgiving! i'm gonna be a better commenter too! :)